Sharing my life and love of cross stitch. Thoughts about this and that.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

New Computer

Apparently 9 years old is too old despite new hard drive and 100 times more RAM. The hard drive I bought for old one was wrong type, but Gerry, my RACES friend, said he could build me a new one for about the same amount I'd paid for the hard drive, with the new hard drive, of course. Remaining is the issue as to whether or not I can recover any of my data that wasn't backed up (way too long ago.) Can't get at through Windows, but another friend managed access to at least some of it through Linux. Two weeks, I'll be without home computer for at least another 2 weeks. In mean time I've been using the library, and occasionly at Dads.

3 comments:

Vickie said...

Bummer! Been there. Done that. :)

Heather said...

:( I hope you get everything up and running again. Getting someone to build you a new computer is a great thing to do. They are so much cheaper that way, and much more customization. We always do that with our desktop computers.

I hope you manage to recover everything you need. I lost a lot when my hard drive failed last May, and I was pleasantly surprised at what I was actually able to get back. (And now I think I'm going to go run another backup...)

Jan Gartlan said...

Oh no! I hope you get back online soon x

Photobucket